Thursday, March 15, 2018

Spring Salads

Today was my first Big Spring Salad of 2018 and it was SO yummy! Usually, I wait at least until after the Spring Equinox to begin eating mega-salads for lunch, but today was so warm (67 degrees) and sunny, I could hear the birds singing through the open windows of the house, that I couldn't wait.

While I am not a hard-core advocate of seasonal eating, I do try to lean in that direction when possible. For a simple example, I eat more potatoes and squash (heavy, cooked foods) in the winter, and more fresh raw salads (light, raw foods) during spring and summer.

I learned about the concept of seasonal eating when I was being trained in Ayurveda, but I know there are other naturalists who also follow this practice. My teacher was Dr. John Douillard and his web site or book is a great starting point to learn about following Nature's cycles and seasons in order to bring increased balance to our body systems.

As a vegetarian (who tends toward the vegan side), I've done my share of moderating the guidelines in that respect as well as following my own bodily constitution. Our individual constitutions may lead us to avoid some foods while increasing others, so it's important to know your innate nature. Another personal guideline is to feel into the landscape around you. Do you live in a hot, dry climate or a cool, wet one? That can influence which foods you will be able to digest well.

There are so many aspects to giving our bodies what they need, but don't wait any longer. I encourage you to dip your toes in the waters right now and explore!



No comments:

Post a Comment